Child Support

All children are entitled to financial support from both of their parents.  In divorce and paternity cases, the non-custodial parent is generally ordered to make monthly child support payments to the custodial parent. 

Determining the correct amount of child support can be a complex issue, in which the judge must consider several factors, including:  incomes of the parents,  the amount of time the child(ren) spend with each parent, the cost of health insurance, the cost of child care expenses, and several other factors. 

If you are the party receiving child support, you want to ensure you are receiving the highest amount possible under the law.  If you are the party paying child support, you want to ensure you are not overpaying.  Either way, Parrish Law Group is extremely experienced in assisting our clients correctly calculate child support. 

If a child support order has been filed, and you have not received child support payments, Parrish Law Group can assist you in filing a contempt action against the non-custodial parent.  In a contempt action, we notify the judge of the non-custodial parent’s failure to comply with the existing child support order.  A contempt action can carry a severe punishment—up to six months in the county jail, the payment of a fine, and in some cases attorney fees. 

Additionally, we assist our clients to modify previous orders for child support.  This modification is based upon changes of circumstances, for example, a change in your and/or your ex’s employment, or, a change in the amount of time the minor child(ren) spend with each parent.